I hope your first couple of weeks of the school year has been smooth! The Howard staff is proud to share that our students are doing very well transitioning into a new school year and more importantly, that our students are HAPPY to be in school :-). Thank you to all the parents/guardians who have made this transition back to school a great one! We could not do it without you! We appreciate your hard work and teamwork!
Here are some very important updates/reminders:
- Open House is tomorrow from 6:00-7:30 p.m., we hope to see you all there! Also, although you are welcome to be in the school and in your child’s class for the entire duration of the open house, structured informational parent meetings will be taking place in your child’s class during these times: K-1st 6:00-6:25, 2nd-3rd 6:30-6:55, and 4th-5th 7:00-7:25. If you are unable to attend the Open House/Parent Meeting and/or have more than one child in the same parent meeting time frame, rest assured that all teachers will be emailing parents their digital presentation via email so that you will have all the information at your fingertips. As always, if you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
- School Threats-With the new school year, it is important that we have conversations with our child(ren) about making school threats and how seriously they are taken. Many times students say it was a “prank” or they were “just joking,” as they are unaware of the serious consequences that come along with choices such as these. Please review the letter (below) from Wayne County Prosecutor Worthy regarding school threats and discuss it with your child(ren). Letter from Prosecutor Worthy in English Letter from Prosecutor Worthy in Arabic Letter from Prosecutor Worthy in Spanish
- Buses-we want to thank parents/guardians of children who ride the bus for their patience with delayed arrivals of buses. Some of our buses have been running late due to construction on major roads combined with the traffic of rush hours. IF YOUR CHILD RIDES ON BUS 677, THEY WILL BE MOVED TO A NEW BUS BEGINNING THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 9TH FOR BOTH PICK-UP AND DROP-OFF. BUS STOPS WILL REMAIN THE SAME. THE NEW BUS NUMBER IS 646. THE TRANSPORTATION DEPT. IS WORKING REALLY HARD AND THEY ARE MAKING THIS CHANGE IN HOPES TO ADDRESS THE DAILY DELAY ON BUS 677. AGAIN, THE NEW BUS WILL BE BUS 646.
- Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) forms will be coming home with your youngest child that attends Howard. Forms submitted by Howard families generate a report that is critical in determining the amount of money that our school receives from a variety of State and Federal supplemental programs like Title 1 A, At-risk (31s), Title II A, E-Rate etc. The great news is that all our students enrolled at our school can receive a healthy breakfast and lunch at NO charge. Additionally, supplemental programs that we receive based on this report include but are not limited to instructional support staff, supplies, and materials. We also receive professional learning opportunities for our staff, technology equipment, and non-instructional services such as a full-time social worker. PLEASE COMPLETE THIS FORM BY SEPTEMBER 21ST AT THE LATEST. WE ARE LOOKING FOR 100% PARTICIPATION. WE APPRECIATE YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!
- WELCOME BACK PICNIC HOSTED BY THE PTA-PLEASE SAVE THE DATE-FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16TH 2:45-5:00 P.M., WITH APPEARANCES BY TEACHERS/STAFF FROM 3:00-4:00. AS A REMINDER, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16TH IS A HALF DAY WITH DISMISSAL AT 12:05. STAY TUNED FOR INFO. ABOUT THE PICNIC DETAILS.
We look forward to seeing you all tomorrow at Howard!